[Foundation-l] Do we need a Code of Participation?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Nov 9 19:02:42 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:
> on 11/9/07 2:39 AM, The Cunctator at cunctator at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> This is sad and pathetic. And I mean "pathetic" in the sense of
>> "arousing sadness and compassion".
>>
>> A code of conduct tells people "We don't trust new people, and we have
>> problems with each other, and we don't know how to build a community."
>>
> Cunc, a code of conduct is a set of guidelines - like road signs - they help
> people to go in the right direction. The Community that was built was going
> in the wrong direction; we're trying to correct that. Keep the faith.
I think there is more to this than Cunc's curmudgeonly reputation.

The danger is that we do have people who will treat the proposed Code of
Conduct as a hammer for beating newbies.  A code put in those terms
would be as meaningful as shrinkwrapped software that tells me that I
can't transfer the information to Cuba.

I support the idea of a series of principles that we all hold dear, but
not any kind of bureaucratic structure to support them.

Ec