[Foundation-l] Moldovan Wikipedia

Johannes Rohr jorohr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 23:21:46 UTC 2007

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 23:18:26 +0100, GerardM wrote:

> Hoi,
> You are wrong, the Romanian Wikipedia is in the Latin script.. the
> Moldovan is not, consequently your conclusion does not follow from your
> argument. Thanks,

While it is theoretically possible that there are individual speakers of
Romanian/Moldovan in Transnistria who, due to the pro-Russian policy of
the Transnistrian authorities read only Cyrillic Romanian, the likelihood
is extremely small. As I understand, the contemporary use of Cyrillic for
Moldovan/Romanian is a product of continued coercion in Transnistria.

In my view, the main argument against the Moldovan Wikipedia is that it
never had a native community. There is simply no demand from the side of
Moldovans from either side of the Dniester river for such a wiki.

Apart from that, I feel that the use of the mo language code is a misuse,
as the standard alphabeth in Moldova is Latin, not Cyrillic.

Apart from that, I am well aware, that Romanian has a history of being
written in Cyrillic. I would even dare say, that the Latin script is a
relatively new invention, as the Romanian ortodox church has historically
used the cyrillic alphabeth well into the 19th centure, IIRC.

However, I don't think that this warrants a separate Wikipedia edition,
else we could also have a separate German editon in Fraktur script...

Thanks,

Johannes