[Foundation-l] Fundraising totals as of Oct 7, 2007 @ 5:00 PM (EST)

Brian McNeil brian.mcneil at wikinewsie.org
Thu Nov 8 14:04:04 UTC 2007

Waerth wrote:

>Getting the Dalai Lama to endorse us? Isn't that a sure way to get us
>blocked forever in China??

Letting that risk influence us is bowing to threatened censorship. I find
that disgusting and totally unacceptable. I do not know the details of what
the Great Firewall censors, or how we comport ourselves might influence the
filters and blocks. We should NEVER be influenced by that. To me that is
non-negotiable. Wikipedia/Wikinews/Wikiquote/et all are not censored. Nor
should our efforts to get people to endorse the projects be.

My partner is a Buddhist, and I honestly believe it would not be a big step
to get Tensing Gyatso to say that editing Wikipedia and sharing your
knowledge with others gives you good karma. Freely sharing knowledge is a
Buddhist principle that they share with WMF.

Brian McNeil