[Foundation-l] Do we need a Code of Participation?

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Nov 8 01:41:34 UTC 2007

On 11/7/07, Delirium <delirium at hackish.org> wrote:
> I really dislike forced speech, and would leave the project if rather
> than "sign" some statement other than one I freely made myself, if it
> extended beyond minimally necessary things like agreeing to license my
> contributions.

Agreeing to a basic code of conduct seems similarly necessary to me --
perhaps we're talking cross purposes. The only reason I'm not calling
it "terms of use" or "code of conduct" is that I was looking for a
more appealing phrase, but the intent is not to enforce some "pledge
of Wikipedia allegiance" ("I pledge allegiance to the puzzle globe,
and to the encyclopedia for which it stands, one wiki under Jimbo
.."); rather, it would be the same in function as the ToS agreement
many forums & online communities have, only shorter and simpler.
--
Toward Peace, Love & Progress:
Erik