[Foundation-l] Do we need a Code of Participation?

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 12:55:22 UTC 2007

On 07/11/2007, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
> I agree with you, Mark. This is like requiring someone to sign a "loyalty"
> pledge which is, in practice, meaningless; or forcing anyone in you life who
> wants to be a friend to sign a statement saying they will never hurt you.
> Once again, we have a cultural issue here. The Community agrees on a set of
> rules. To be a part of that Community, you must abide by those rules. If you
> don't, find another Community.

But wasn't Erik's point that this is not really happening?
- We can't agree on the rules (cultural norms)
- They are not universally enforced (people don't necessarily get
negative social feedback when breaking one of them)
- People who disobey them aren't universally shunned (ie "find another
Community")

Brianna

http://modernthings.org/