[Foundation-l] Do we need a Code of Participation?

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 6 14:14:50 UTC 2007

> On 06/11/2007, Marc Riddell <michaeldavid86 at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> It is time for the Projects to grow out of adolescence. And substituting
>> "dick" for "jerk" is merely a sign that we are standing still.
>
> on 11/6/07 8:42 AM, David Gerard at dgerard at gmail.com wrote:

> In the original meta page, "dick" was already a euphemism for "fuckhead" ...
>
> Nevertheless, "don't be a dick" (in whatever form) is the basic rule
> of all social spaces; all other rules are local commentary. If we can
> just say that in some form, it'll hopefully save some work in dealing
> with the creatively dickish.

David, 'because everybody does it' is not an excuse to do something in the
Wikimedia Projects. Wikimedia must create its own distinct identity; and its
reputation and credibility will be a great part of that identity - and its
use of language a crucial part as well.

The language of social pages should not be the language of Wikimedia
policies.

Marc