[Foundation-l] Do we need a Code of Participation?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 23:16:18 UTC 2007

> > There are a few reasons why I think an explicit opt-in to a small
> > number of core principles would be a good idea:
> >

> UK schools tried that at one point. Didn't work.

They may have claimed it was opt-in, but the fact that education is
compulsory in the UK (as in much of the world) means that you have to
opt-in whether you want to or not, which isn't really what "opt"
means. (Yes, you could go to another school, or be home educated, but
both of those are really choices of the parent, not the pupil, so it
doesn't really help.)

People can, however, choose not to edit Wikipedia (or the other projects).

That key differences means we shouldn't dismiss this just because it
didn't work in UK schools.