[Foundation-l] Do we need a Code of Participation?

Cormac Lawler cormaggio at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 11:53:33 UTC 2007

On 11/5/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Here's a (very rough) example text:
>
> - - -
> I agree that, as a member of this community, I shall
> * treat others with respect and kindness, and assume good faith in
> their actions;
> * participate in service to the mission of this project:
> [one-line summary of project's mission, e.g. "to create a freely
> licensed encyclopedia"]
> * disclose any conflicts of interest, and recuse myself from editing
> where they could impair my judgment.

These are pretty good. However, I would argue against naming the
neutrality principle (as Thogo suggests) as something above and beyond
the "mission of the project" (unless I've misunderstood the
suggestion). In Wikipedia's case, it could be explicitly stated (ie
"to create a freely licensed, neutral encyclopedia"), but in the case
of something like Wikiversity, this is unnecessary and problematic,
IMO.

Cheers,
Cormac