[Foundation-l] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Greenspan illustration project

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 16:19:19 UTC 2007

> To what extent does the WMF have to even worry about the rules of
> different jurisdictions?

Hiring someone in another country means you are doing business in that
country, and that business falls under that countries jurisdiction.
Whether there are any jurisdictions that would require the WMF to do
anything, I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it would be without the
power of the government of that country.

> In any case it sounds like something fun and educational to try.  And
> in the spirit of spreading human knowledge, I hope someone documents
> and shares what was learned with all of us.  I also wonder if all the
> overhead costs (determining the law, complying with the law,
> transferring the money) will be taken out of the $20K or not.

There's is nothing wrong with learning by trial and error - it's often
the best way. You just have to make sure the errors you make aren't
actually illegal. I would imagine overheads come out the donation
(where they can be unambiguously determined - the salaries of the
staff administrating it probably wont be partially assigned to the
project). It would seem odd for them not to.