[Foundation-l] Wikikids

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue May 29 17:49:11 UTC 2007

There are a few issues here, which should perhaps be addressed by more
than one project.

1) Simplifying language

Finding a way to provide versions of articles targeted at different
audiences -- different levels of jargon or language complexity -- would
be a valuable achievement.  Our early effort with Simple-English remains
a hack which needs improvement and localization.

Examples: simple english, simple spanish

2) Writing for children

There is a long tradition of providing children with books about the
world, including drawings, games, and activities; with a shift in focus,
layout, and tone from more general encyclopedias.  At the same time, I
believe that most full-length English encyclopedias have for decades been
primarily marketed for home use by schoolchildren...

Examples: Andrew Cates' SOS selection of Wikipedia
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Wikipedia_CD_Selection
Wikijunior
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikijunior

3) Projects by and for children

There is a need for space for younger authors to develop and share their
own work.  This may or may not be directly related to one of the above
projects.

Examples:  Few.  UNICEF's Voices of Youth project offers some space for
this sort of collaboration among their young contributors.

4) Packaging things into books v. ongoing development of articles

This has been a slightly confusing distinction since we started putting
'books' into digital form, breaking the traditions of bound and printed
works one by one.  There are useful distinctions b/t wikipedia and
wikibooks, and likewise between a children's encyclopedia idea and
wikijunior, but they are as much philosophical as unavoidable.  This
is especially true as books become more and more modular, and parts of
books are used in multiple works.

-----

It would be good to start a discussion and collaboration including
interested groups... and to seed a children's encyclopedia with some of
the existing material that is in other formats.

The advantage to 3) over the others is that projects whose primary
audience can contribute directly to their development have an excellent
model for sustained growth.

SJ