[Foundation-l] [announcement] new staff member in business development

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun May 20 19:27:34 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:

>On 5/20/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Anthony wrote:

>>>Interesting.  I don't think that would be feasible for datafeeds
>>>though, and I'm pretty sure it isn't feasible for DVDs.  In the case
>>>of DVDs, if you tried to sell them to different groups for different
>>>prices, you'd simply see people resell the DVDs (engage in arbitrage).
>>>

>>Reselling one or two DVD would not be a big deal.
>>However, engaging into a real reselling activity of a DVD using
>>trademarks which you are not authorized to use for a commercial
>>activity, is illegal.
>>

>Umm, how so?  Check out eBay sometime, or half.com (have they gotten
>rid of that yet?).  People resell DVDs using trademarks which they
>aren't authorized to use for a commercial activity *all the time*.
>Besides that, it's most certainly not illegal.

Oh?  How can eBay possibly check out whether something offered for sale
is pirated?  What would it need to do just to check whether DRM has been
disabled on a particularly?  As long as they ask no questions nobody
will tell them any lies.  How many potential buyers are going to
complain about pirate material when they could be getting a bargain?
Not illegal sounds more like not real.

>>>I think this would happen for datafeeds as well, if they were ever
>>>accessible to the regular public.  If I as an individual could buy an
>>>en.wikipedia datafeed for $100/month (which would probably be more
>>>than enough to cover WMF's actual costs), the WMF wouldn't be able to
>>>charge companies $5000/month, because if they did I'd just step in and
>>>resell my $100/month datafeed for much less than $5000.
>>>

>>Yeah, and since your contract agreement at $100 explicitely does not
>>allow you to resell the feed to a third party, you would engage into
>>illegal activity as well.
>>

>Then you could sue me, and I'd countersue you for violating the GFDL.
>What part of "add no other conditions whatsoever to those of this
>License" don't you understand?

It's not a matter of who could sue, but of who would.

>If you're currently forcing datafeed recipients to agree not to
>redistribute the data they receive, then you're in major breach of the
>GFDL.  Not just the relatively minor breaches that have been going on
>for so long, but you've subverting the very essence of copyleft.
>
>I seriously hope your current contracts don't do that.

That's too speculative for me.

>>>And I think the WMF *should* be willing to sell unrestricted datafeeds
>>>to *anyone* for little more than its actual costs.  This is in line
>>>with maximizing the useful distribution of free content, which is
>>>after all the purpose of the WMF.
>>>

>>Datafeed is one of the way we can make money. Which will allow us to pay
>>the accountant.
>>Which will allow us to provide all the financial information you are
>>noisily requesting.
>>

>The millions of dollars in donations you've collected is another way
>to pay an accountant.

We're not reallt talking about the specific allocation of funds.  The
accountant's fees here are only symbolic of a greater basket of
expenses.  Donations are a fickle way of funding an organization.  Some
operations require more stable funding.

>>If you count in "actual cost" uniquely the bandwidth cost, $100 could
>>make it. But running an organization uniquely counting as cost, the
>>bandwidth, is seriously being out of it.
>>

>The organization is going to be run regardless of whether or not the
>datafeed is given.  Counting all the costs of running the organization
>when calculating the marginal cost of providing a datafeed, is
>seriously being out of it.

On the basis of that model I would recommend that WMF invest in large
quantities of Duck Tape.

Ec