[Foundation-l] [announcement] new staff member in business development

Robert Leverington lcarsdata at googlemail.com
Sun May 20 13:48:09 UTC 2007

On 20/05/07, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
> On 5/20/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hoi,
> > What Anthony conveniently forgets is how we are going to pay for it all.
>
> Pay for what?  The stuff that's being done now?  Donations are going
> to pay for it.  For giving a datafeed to anyone in the world?  The
> people receiving the datafeeds will pay for it.
> Imagine being able to get cheap or even free hosting on a multi-user
> server which has a live datafeed.  Toolserver has given us a glimpse
> of the possibilites, now imagine if thousands of people had shell
> access.

We are not disagreeing with your ideas, I am sure they could work, but
consider how much money starting up a project like that would cost. At
the moment the servers for the current wikis aren't good enough - let
alone thousands of other websites using who know how much storage and
CPU.

> > Yes, we want to get as much expose our data in as many ways as possible.
> > That is something we agree on. Fact is that the WMF is underfunded, it could
> > do much more if it had money to act on its convictions.
>
> Underfunded/overfunded is relative, but I do agree with you that the
> WMF could do much more if it had more money.  But it's not fair to
> artificially restrict current projects in order to get that money.
>
> Anthony

Robert[hl] [[User:Lcarsdata]]
http://roberthl.wikitest.co.uk/