[Foundation-l] [announcement] new staff member in businessdevelopment

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat May 19 18:19:04 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:

>On 5/19/07, Anthony <wikilegal at inbox.org> wrote:
>

>>On 5/19/07, Casey Brown <cbrown1023 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Anthony:
>>>
>>>May I enquire as to why your e-mail address is wikilegal?
>>>

>>Yes, you may.
>>

>I originally created the email address in order to read the
>wikilegal-l mailing list.  At the time I was using two separate email
>accounts, one for reading the mailing lists, and another for posting
>to the mailing lists.  This was a pain in the ass, but it was better
>than the alternative of receiving lots of spam.  Then I found out
>about the gmail feature which allows you to send mail from different
>email addresses.  Problem solved, and now I could abandon my other
>email account.  Except now a new problem was introduced: when a
>message is crossposted to multiple mailing lists, one must be
>subscribed under the same email address to all mailing lists or else
>the post gets moderated.  So I had to sign up for all the mailing
>lists under the same email address.  As it turns out I'm actually
>signed up for some mailing lists under lots of email addresses, I'd
>basically keep signing up every time the mail bounced.  The wikilegal
>address seems to have propagated to all the mailing lists, or at least
>most of them.  If there was an easy way to get an address unmoderated
>on *all* the mailing lists at once, I'd have changed it by now, as a
>small number of people have claimed to be confused by it.
>
>So there's the story.  Wasn't that interesting to everyone?

I have no objection to what e-mail address you use, and clearly the
people at inbox.org don't either.  We don't have a monopoly over all
words containing the string "wiki".  I have mixed views on the various
substantive points that Anthony attempts to make, but it belittles the
importance of those issues if we get hung up on such a trivial point as
the name he uses with the unrelated ISP of his choice.

Ec