[Foundation-l] [announcement] new staff member in business development

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri May 18 17:15:46 UTC 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Florence Devouard wrote:

> GerardM wrote:
>>
>> In his reply Samuel indicates that it is not clear what our needs are and,
>> what we would do with money generated. Let me remind him that at the last
>> fund raiser we were looking for 1,5 million dollars, we got just over 1
>> million of that. A substantial part of it was acquired because of corporate
>> donations. We are underfunded and understaffed as it is.

We fundraise less often than we used to, and with less clear urgency.
Perhaps there is a relationship... I'm inclined to think so.

>> Relevant is that the Virgin deal was seen as problematic by some. In equal
>> measure this attitude is problematic because it prevents the funding of our
>> projects in the way they were budgetted in the future.

Let's talk about budgeting for the future, instead of fundraising.
There's a productive thread...

>> Now you want to sound confident by making a bet. Consider that you may eat
>> French dinners, but you are offering it to an organisation used to eating
>> spagetti only.

I was trying to quantify my "sureness" since Ant asked if we were sure. :)
I have eaten French dinners, most memoarbly in Avignon, though it has been
a very long time.  And I was betting on one thing...

> Sam and Gerard, please do remember that ... French dinners are expensive
> in most of the world... but not in France :-)
>
> ant

Indeed (-:  See my original footnote.

SJ