[Foundation-l] Clarification to existing resolutions

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed May 16 16:05:32 UTC 2007

> > * Paragraph 1 of Resolution:Licensing policy is clarified: The
> > licensing policy does not apply to any inalienable moral rights
> > associated with a work.

> Does it apply to moral rights codified in a licence, e.g. some of the
> CC 3.0 licenses? Are those free-enough or not? There's lots of
> discussions on Commons talk:Licensing, but surely a Commons talk page
> shouldn't be setting WMF-wide policy on such a matter.

Only if the license establishes restrictions _beyond_ the existing
moral rights. If it merely recognizes whichever rights a jurisdiction
grants, I do not see an issue with it.

I'm not convinced that the current CC licenses establish any new
restrictions, and those who claim that they do should take that
discussion directly to Creative Commons. There is no malicious intent
here on the part of CC, and so I don't see why people don't try to
work out any issues that there may be directly with the people who
_wrote_ the license.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic