[Foundation-l] Question regarding trademarks

Lee Daniel Crocker lee at piclab.com
Sat May 12 06:00:07 UTC 2007

Todd Allen wrote:
>>> Recently ran across a site, http://assignmine.com/, that's using a
>>> banner ad describing itself as "Wikipedia for assignments.
>> It sounds like they're comparing themselves to Wikipedia rather than
>> calling themselves Wikipedia, so it's not too bad. I'm not an expert
>> on trademark law, though, so I don't know if it's allowed.

Definitely a no-no. Try advertising your business as "The Cadillac of
Widgets", and you can expect lawyers from General Motors to send you
nastygrams talking about dilution of their trademark's value.  Of
course, we're certainly free to give explicit permission for such uses
to those we feel worthy.