[Foundation-l] On closing projects

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Fri May 11 06:24:59 UTC 2007

Hoi,
Steward already play a role when there is a need for support in small
projects. They provide some of the glue that allows for the functioning of
particularly the smaller projects. When there is a need for more stewards,
it is considered that these are people that are given a position of trust.

When stewards limit themselves because of a few hecklers, they in essence
leave necessary work to be done by others that do not been given trust in
the same way. The language committee is and should be focussed on a narrow
band of activities and should only get itself involved when language is an
issue.

Given that the stewards are in and of themselves a varied group of people
who are deeply embedded in the WMF, I would agree that they would be the
most suitable to make up a "global arbitration committee". My fear is that
when they do not take up this challenge, it would lead to more fragmentation
of our organisation. This would make matters worse. It will then wait with
until some matters become really bad and give the WMF a really bad press.

Thanks,
    GerardM