[Foundation-l] Rethinking brands

Robert Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Wed May 9 17:58:51 UTC 2007

Erik Moeller wrote:
> On 5/9/07, Robert Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
>

>> Other than the fact that projects like Wikibooks have already
>> established a brand identity of its own.  Not only among Wikibooks
>> users, but also within the general academic community (for good or
>> ill).  I'm not suggesting here that the brand isn't weaker than
>> Wikipedia
>>

> About 1/200th as weak if Google Scholar results are any indication. I
> don't mean to denigrate the fantastic efforts of the Wikibooks
> community by any means. I love the project and try to promote it at
> every opportunity. But, compared to the Wikipedia juggernaut, it _is_
> virtually unknown. I think there is a wonderful opportunity for
> Wikibooks to benefit from the awareness about WP -- and those who are
> already aware of the name will easily readjust to "Wikipedia
> Textbooks" (or "Wikipedia" + anything else), as virtually everyone who
> has heard of Wikibooks knows Wikipedia. Those who are surprised that
> the projects are related: well, they'd have learned something
> important.

I think you are mistaken at the extent that Wikibooks is recognized
independently of Wikipedia.  While certainly Wikipedia does get much
more press and comment, there have been independent journal articles and
blog (outside of the "wikiblogosphere") commentaries about Wikibooks.
Reviews of individual Wikibooks have also been mentioned, particular on
those topics which have been rather well developed.  I'm also curious
about what metric you are using to suggest that "everyone who has heard
of Wikibooks knows Wikipedia".  I know for a fact that there are many
individuals who contribute to Wikibooks that have never made an edit on
Wikipedia, and often it is their very first time at using a Wiki of any
kind.  My metric is the interaction I've had with users by being a local
administrator on en.wikibooks and participating on the other language
editions of Wikibooks.  French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Hungarian,
Polish and German editions of Wikibooks also all have very active
communities and even interact with each other on a fairly substantial
level as well, as well as participants on the other 40 or so other
active Wikibook projects.

As I've tried to mention on previous posts, Wikibooks is by far and away
the largest independent e-book website on the internet, at least if you
compare sites with Alexa.  It is has more hits than Project Gutenberg,
or even most comercial e-book websites.  The only numbers I can't
compare to are websites like Microsoft and Adobe, where breaking out the
stats for just e-books pages is just a shot in the dark.  And frankly
Wikibooks has stumbled upon this status in a very haphazard fashion with
nearly nobody on the board level even noticing.

You can compare site rankings about e-books here:

http://www.alexa.com/browse?&CategoryID=104589

I would call that a brand worth trying to keep.  While this may also be
an indictment on e-book in general (or the lack of popularity of e-book
in any format), Wikibooks is clearly at the top of the game in this
category.  This isn't to say that there aren't problems on Wikibooks
that need to be fixed, but you can't find any website that offers free
e-books (as in beer or copyleft) that even comes close to what Wikibooks
does right now.  The only real "competition" is Wikisource and the
Gutenberg Project, which Wikibooks tries to maintain cordial
relationships with members of both of those communities as well.

Sure, compared to Wikipedia it is small fry, but compared to most other
websites it has a demographic and draw that most for profit coporations
would kill for.  It certainly has more visitors and a bigger audience
than most Linux distros, if you want to make a comparison to other sorts
of collaborative projects.

In general terms for user innovation and involvement on the projects, I
would rank them as such:

Wikipedia > Commons > Wiktionary > Wikinews > Wikiversity > Wikibooks >
Wikisource > Wikiquote >>> Wikispecies (substantially down the list).
You could argue about the placement of the various sister projects
projects in terms of user involvement, and I would consider most of the
sister projects except for Wiktionary and Wikipedia to be roughly
identical in terms of user involvement and activity with some
differences mainly due to the nature of each project.  Page counts would
give some slightly different rankings as would other metrics, but I
would question page ranks as a conclusive comparison between the various
projects.