[Foundation-l] Fwd: [cc-licenses] The FSF On FDL Derivatives

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Wed May 9 13:11:04 UTC 2007

2007/5/9, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org>:

> "In cases like these where the materials complement each other, we
> believe that the end result is a derivative work."
>
> This contains two useful distinctions. The materials have been chosen
> to complement each other to form a unit of presumably increased value
> or greater use rather than just being aggregated. And *the end result*
> is the derivative work, not the text or the photo, so legal causality
> isn't broken.
>
> What I am curious about is what exactly this "end result" is
> (collective work, new multimedia work, or ...?) and how far-reaching
> this effect is (particularly with regard to e.g. contextual
> advertising).

I'd say the effect is very far-reaching - it means that if you
incorporate a GFDL image in a work, you should put the whole resulting
work under the GFDL. And since the original work can easily be created
as a derivative of the resulting GFDL work (by removal of the image),
in effect the original work has been made GFDL too. What's more, it
also means that it is not allowed to put CC-BY-SA images in Wikipedia,
so they will have to go too.

Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels