[Foundation-l] Rethinking brands

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed May 9 04:37:43 UTC 2007

On 5/8/07, Andreas Praefcke <bibliopolist at googlemail.com> wrote:
> To me, "Wikimedia" is the one name to be changed: something completely
> new may be invented in its place, and pretty much nobody would
> complain.

Yes, I very much support that, though I think there are very good
reasons for a broader rebranding as well.

> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_qanda_item0900aecd805e69cf.shtml

:-) I think the healthy debate in this thread demonstrates that at
least the basics of my proposal are fairly transparent and obvious.

> In a recent message, Erik asked for "rational" arguments rather than
> "emotional" ones. Here's one: IMHO "emotional success with the
> contributing user" pretty much equals "success" in non-profit
> grassroot communities like Wikimedia's projects.

Arguably, yes. I am curious how unpopular this change would really be,
both initially and after it has sunk in. I'd like to do some basic
polling on it, but only after I've heard all the arguments for and
against.

Do you believe that, if the projects had started under these names,
people would have been less likely to contribute? If so, why?

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic