[Foundation-l] Rethinking brands

Dmcdevit dmcdevit at cox.net
Tue May 8 18:13:59 UTC 2007

Kelly Martin wrote:
> Indeed, the proper response to the lower profile of the other projects
> is to advertise them more heavily, not to submerge them further.

This may or may not be off topic, but one thing we are terrible at is
cross-project community support. The submerged projects are largely our
own doing. Mostly this is because most editors are (and I mean this
factually, not disparagingly) wrapped up in their own work and project,
and not necessarily connected to the wider Wikimedia mission or free
content, and not well-acquainted with the other projects. From my
perspective as a dual Wiktionarian and Wikipedian, I would say a huge
proportion of Wikipedia articles that could have crossproject templates
(i.e. {{wiktionary}}), which is most of the non-proper noun, non-phrase
articles (100s K?) lack them. There is virtually no use of internal
linking between the projects, even though it is [[wikt:easy|]], as easy
as linking to another namespace. We should link all technical terms, and
lists of terms, phrases, etc., from Wikipedia to Wiktionary instead;
whereas now we have crappy stub articles or neverending terms lists on
them, we could have more more useful dictionary articles, which affords
etymologies, parts of speech, dictionary-style citations, audio
pronunciations, and translations.

Unfortunately, all my attempts to do so so far have ironically met with
people branding me a deletionist and vigorously defending their article
on *their* project, with no concept of the parallel goals of projects
like Wiktionary. People know Wiktionary is a wiki, but it's a foreign
project to them. Transwiki should be a *process* not a deletion process,
and instead of throwing things in the perceived trash heap of other
projects, transwikied content should be integrated into Wikipedia
articles. Wikipedia lends almost no manpower to helping with the cleanup
of (massive amounts of) stuff transferred to Wiktionary, and
consequently, it mostly languishes without entering the main namespace.
This isn't all Wikipedia's fault: Wiktionary has never really made any
internal effort to take on the transwiki process, and also lacks the
equivalent {{wikipedia}} templates on most relevant articles, and
furthermore, has increasingly been becoming more receptive of
encyclopedic content. My suggestions to get rid of encyclopedic entries
like placenames, brand names, names of TV shows, etc., have met with
similar "inclusionist" resistance, when every failed search of those
points the reader to the more useful Wikipedia article. ("Perhaps there
is an article [[X]] in our sister encyclopedia project, Wikipedia.")

While I love the identities of both projects, we need to find a way to
do that without making them foreign to each other, as that is a very bad
way of promoting our long-term goals.

Dominic