[Foundation-l] 09-f9-...

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Mon May 7 21:22:21 UTC 2007

On 5/7/07, Matthew Brown <morven at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/7/07, Darko Bulatovic <mail at itam.ws> wrote:
> > how do I use this number ?
> >
> > Sorry but I don't really get it. How this number crack protection
> > system. Because i am looking at this number and my DVD is not still
> > cracked?
>
> I know you're playing dumb to make a point -
>
> but the US law in question bars components of a contravening device,
> and the code given is definitely an important part of a HD-DVD
> decryption device, because without one of these you cannot decrypt the
> content.  There are other components needed, but they are also
> available - the encryption scheme itself I believe is publicly known
> (deliberately so, so that it could be peer-reviewed).
>
> This number has no known real purpose except for being a HD-DVD key.
> (Yes, I know that people are rushing around trying to find other
> purposes for it as an excuse for keeping it available, but that
> doesn't change things)
>
> -Matt

A 1 or a 0 could be -part- of that "contravening device", just as a
chunk of metal could conceivably be used to build an illegal automatic
weapon. The number in itself is not any type of "contravening device",
and on its own, is nothing but a very large number.

Whatever you think most people would use it for, whether you're right
or not, it really is, in and of itself, just, a, number.

--
Freedom is the right to know that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.