[Foundation-l] Think of the chilllllllllllldren

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu May 3 20:12:04 UTC 2007

> What can be done with the age restriction plan *not* to make it drive
> away developers?
>
> http://brightbyte.de/page/Think_of_the_children
>
> That post points out how bad and unclear the wording of the resolution
> actually is, and that's coming from someone using English as their
> second language.

As Florence has already pointed out elsewhere, the Board seeks to
define outcomes; resolutions like this should be put into more
elaborate policies and processes on the operational level.

We did not make that distinction for the licensing policy, where we
laid out very explicitly what is and isn't permissible. That should be
the exception, not the rule. In this case, Cary, Sandy and others who
work with volunteers will be in charge of setting the practical limits
for data access, i.e. interpreting the resolution. From that
perspective, a lack of clarity is actually a good thing - as long as
the resolution is not confused with the policy itself, which should
become a separate document on Meta.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic