[Foundation-l] Vision / Mission

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Tue May 1 18:13:45 UTC 2007

On 5/1/07, Mathias Schindler <mathias.schindler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there. When reading
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mission/Unstable&oldid=521244,
> I ask myself if this Mission Statement covers Wikisource, Wikiquote
> and Wikimedia Commons, as they may lack neutrality (with a good
> reason). In a new version, this has already been fixed, however, the
> "official" version appears to be the neutral one
> (http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Mission_and_Vision_statement).

I do not see why Commons, Wikiquote, and Wikisource cannot be neutral
repositories. There are just different ways in which neutrality is
implemented there, e.g., the metadata, the arrangement, the selection,
and so forth. Moreover, all these projects are embedded (through
sister project links) into the overall educational context of the
Wikimedia universe.

I would, in fact, argue that neutrality in these projects is just as
essential as in any other, so I cannot support the removal of
"neutral", but we might think about other ways to phrase this
requirement to be more generic ("to collect and develop .. in a
neutral fashion"?) .
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic