[Foundation-l] Language Prevention Committee created

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 13:08:57 UTC 2007

--- Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:

><snip>
>

> No, I still don't understand a iota. Yes, I do
> understand that having a
> localized interface is a good thing, and that it's a
> good thing to have
> people work on that. But I do not understand that it
> is so important that
> it's better to tell people to wait for it than to
> have them happily work
> with something subobtimal.
>
> --
> Andre Engels, andreengels at gmail.com
> ICQ: 6260644  --  Skype: a_engels

I am a little unclear here on the significance of this
issue.  Since the languages in question are able to
create content on Incubator, what is the great
disavantage of them remaining there a bit longer?
Everything will be able to be imported with full
history.  Wikisource has always run it's own
"incubator" since the the language split, and
languages have sometimes had a long wait before the
new subdomain is created.  But they didn't stop adding
content, designing the main page, or building
catagories just because they did not yet have their
own subdomain.  Of course everyone would prefer to be
in their own subdomain, just like everyone would
prefer to have localized interface.  But I am not sure
why it is such a disadvantage to be creating content
on incubator vs. a suboptimal seperate wiki?

It might help if those who are on the commitee, who
have spent much more time thinking about this than I
have, could list the pros and cons of each option,
showing some examples if possible.  Then others will
be able to better understand why you decided on your
position, and better clarify exactly what they
disagree with.  This may something better suited to
Meta than a mailing list.

I also think it may be helpful if there were a set of
benchmarks on Incubator for each language on it's way
to a seprate wiki.  That way various languages can
clearly see their progress is being recognized and
have some idea how far they still have to go to reach
their goal.

BirgitteSB