[Foundation-l] Robert Mugabe's daughter - news story originating from Wikipedia?

Robert Brockway rbrockway at opentrend.net
Thu Mar 29 21:00:27 UTC 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> On 3/29/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If a minister is going to make a statement before parliament based on
>> reading something on Wikipedia, that's his problem, not ours.
>> Wikipedia articles sometimes contain errors, we, of course, work to
>> reduce them as much as possible, but we'll never eliminate them
>> completely. If this minor diplomatic incident really was a result of
>> the Wikipedia article, then the blame falls squarely on the minister
>> in question, nowhere else.
>
> IMHO, "it's your fault for believing us", while true, is not fair or
> realistic as our only response to such issues.

While I do agree with this point, an MP making a statement in parliament
should be double checking all facts (don't they have staff to do this?).
Verification from a primary source (ie, LSE) should have been sought.

I'll point out that IMHO anon edits do more harm to WP than good.  If
people care about the project let them create an account - it takes
perhaps 30 seconds?

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073
OpenTrend Solutions Ltd      Email:          support at opentrend.net
                              Web:            www.opentrend.net
Contributing Member of Software in the Public Interest