[Foundation-l] Robert Mugabe's daughter - news story originating from Wikipedia?

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 14:19:40 UTC 2007

> The responsibility to avoid harm is shared. The public should try to
> avoid harm by being skeptical about what they receive, and we should
> try to avoid harm by being as careful as we can within our structure
> to be good about what we transmit.
>
> I, and many others with reasonably long tenures by our standards,
> believe we have a number of substantial quality problems which we are
> undertaking insufficient efforts to address.
>
> I don't have any magic solutions, but I can't sit by and dismiss such
> concerns by throwing the entire responsibility on our users.

Quite. Whilst the responsibility for whatever diplomatic fracas
resulted* is on the shoulders of whoever lifted material from
Wikipedia, it doesn't change the fact that we fucked up in leaving it
there for them to lift.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk

* not much; it should be borne in mind that of recent, UK-Zimbabwean
relations have basically been one continual diplomatic incident...