[Foundation-l] Belarusan Wikipedia

Johannes Rohr jorohr at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:46:48 UTC 2007

Birgitte SB <birgitte_sb at yahoo.com>
writes:

[...]

> You say that the Belarus Wikipedia has a large
> problem.  I am not doubting you on that issue.
> However there are many ways to approach any problem,
> and I find global arbitration commitee to be a
> direction I cannot support WMF taking.

Whatever solution is taken in the end, in my view it would be crucial
to have such issues resolved in a transparent and public process with
clear-cut rules. I don't have too much insight into the Belarusan
crisis. However, the suddenness of the decision after months of
complete silence is what strikes me.

To the average mortal Wikipedian, the langcom and the board are black
boxes. You can spend months or years discussing the pros and cons of a
certain proposal, and then, at some random moment,- Wham! - like
divine intervention, there will be a decision. This decision with be
final, without any possibility of appeal.

I know that Wikipedia-is-no-a-democracy. But still, in the Wikisphere,
most decisions are taken in a transparent manner and /can/ be appealed
and, if justified, reversed. The same should be true for the language
creation/closure process.

Thanks,

Thanks,

Johannes