[Foundation-l] Belarusan Wikipedia

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 13:18:35 UTC 2007

Hoi,
The notion of something like a global arbitration committee IS that it is to
be disturbing. Only when there is something of so much gravitas that
something like the end of a living project is considered, it provides a
final way to address an issue. The last thing you want is to get to the
stage where such a body gets involved !!

The people in the old Belarus wikipedia have known for a very long time that
there point of view is unpalatable to many and that it goes completely
against how things are done in all other projects. When asked, the language
committee has advised and the board has decreed. For such issues it is good
to allow for one last and final appeal because some of the reactions show
that some people did not even want to consider that their actions were seen
in such a stark light.

With arbitration committees it is not about agreeing voluntarily to
recognising its authority. The choice is more one of having an appeal or not
having an appeal. Without an appeal a decision once made would be final.

Thanks,
     GerardM