[Foundation-l] Language Prevention Committee created

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 06:55:15 UTC 2007

> On 3/28/07, Mark Williamson <node.ue at gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/
> >
> > How is that site valid if it's not written in all 6000+ world
> > languages?
>
> Because we don't get uploads from most of them. [[Special:upload]] is
> available in 14 languages.

If someone can read enough English to upload media using a completely
untranslated interface, I would hope they also know enough to
understand the copyright notice. If everything else were translated,
that would be another matter entirely.

And how do you know that you don't get uploads from people speaking
only Tibetan? Do you ask every uploader?

> > What about the unwritten ones?
>
> It would be a bit hard to have a wiki in an unwritten language.

If you're clever and innovative, there is a way to do pretty much anything.

Mark

--
Refije dirije lanmè yo paske nou posede pwòp bato.