[Foundation-l] Banning Fair Use (was Re: Foundation Licensing Policy)

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 05:28:37 UTC 2007

On 3/29/07, Robert Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:

> The policy that I was trying to draft on Wikibook was to permit very
> specific categories of images, and all other fair use was to be
> eliminated.

This is essentially what the resolution is doing. The types that the
resolution mentions are:

* media used to illustrate historically significant events [1]
* identifying protected works such as logos
* media used to complement (within narrow limits) articles about
copyrighted contemporary works

So this clearly covers things like corporate logos in articles on the
corporation, pictures of a painting in an article about the painting,
and unique photos of historical events (where, of course, there are no
free alternatives that would adequately convey the same information).

So you can see that the resolution really makes explicit allowance for
all of the important uses of unfree media in defining what an EDP can
cover.

--
[1] ie. a picture of a specific event in the past that by definition
cannot be repeated.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com