[Foundation-l] Banning Fair Use (was Re: Foundation Licensing Policy)

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 19:26:11 UTC 2007

> On 3/28/07, Robert Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> > For everything that you want to talk about?  If you are going to use an
> > example of logos, sure, you can find *an example* of a PD logo.  But
> > even the WMF logo is not public domain.... it isn't even a free content
> > license.  The only way you can use the WMF logo in a Wikimedia project
> > (in an article or book module) is under fair use concepts.  Of course
> > such a fair use application would have to be in context.
>
> There is however the free Debian logo
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Debian-logo.svg
>
> The bass logo is PD
>
> Fore adverts there is various US gov stuff and we can create images ourselves.
> --
> geni

I gotta point that Debian logo may not be free, as the freedom of use
is restricted
"The copyright holder of this file allows anyone to use it for any
purpose, provided that it refers to the Debian project, but does not
indicate endorsement by the project.."
So you can't use it for any purpose, only for those purposes refering
to the Debian project.

Of course, the culprit here is the template, as the logo page says
Copyright (c) 1999 Software in the Public Interest
This logo or a modified version may be used by anyone to refer to the
Debian project, but does not indicate endorsement by the project.

So you may or may not use it to refer to debian, whereas the tempalte
says you can use it PRIVEDED THAT you refer to the debian project
(otherwise you couldn't)

I tried fixing it at
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Debian-logo-notext.svg
but It got unnecessarily awkard (and probably still wrong)