[Foundation-l] Banning Fair Use (was Re: Foundation Licensing Policy)

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 13:45:51 UTC 2007

On 3/28/07, Robert Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
[snip]
> Wikibooks has had an unofficial policy about fair use for more than a
> year now, and it has been used as a guideline

Can you explain for us why Wikibooks needs fair use? I'm not sure I
see as much of as a use case as I do for Wikipedia. Can you provide
some pointers?

At most it would seem to me that it would be something that should
only be permitted by exception on a book by book basis based on the
subject matter of the book.

The prospects of printing wikibooks is probably much greater, to the
complications and harm from using non-free images is also probably
greater. This should cause us to consider more carefully.

In any case, the first place to take a dispute about your EDP is your
community, and not the foundation list.  Since you're here already,
educating us about the need for non-free images in Wikibooks makes
sense to me.