[Foundation-l] Wikireader (was re: Wikimania 2007 Team Bulletin, March 25, 2007)

Robert Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Mon Mar 26 23:40:35 UTC 2007

Florence Devouard wrote:
> Hsiang-Tai Chien wrote:
>

>> 5. WikiReader editing begins
>>
>> The editing for WikiReader on Wikimania 2007 now also begins and is planned
>> to be delivered to the attendees when Wikimania is been held in August 3-5,
>> 2007.
>>

> Hello
>
> Can you tell us more about what this wikireader is about and what you
> are looking for in terms of volunteer jobs ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ant

A "wikireader", at least as I've seen it used in context, is a
collection of Wikipedia articles centered around a specific topic like
Chemistry, Astronomy, or a historical topic like the "Napoleanic Wars".
de.wikipedia has been doing this for some time, but it hasn't been done
in any other languages, including English.

I've asked some very hard and pointed questions about this on
en.wikipedia, but I havn't been satisfied with the answers.  At the very
least, I would hope that this process is a little more open than it has
been so far.  That some discussions about this are going to happen at
Wikimania is encouraging, but there are several individuals like myself
who can't get to Taipei and would still like to participate in these
discussions.

-- Robert Horning