[Foundation-l] Language Prevention Committee created

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 10:53:48 UTC 2007

Hoi,
When we are to support languages, we have to support them well and, we have
to support them in an equal way. With Incubator we have the potential of
having people prove that there language is viable as a new language. For
users the ability of having support of their user interface is an important
factor of this.

The technical  procedures of creating new languages are faulty because they
do not create message files for these languages and when new projects are
created, the only place where these language files are created are the new
projects. When you ask for these message files to be imported into MediaWiki
proper, there are too many hoops to jump through.

It is for this reason that we explicitly want the message files to be
created in the Incubator and have the messages created in this way supported
in MediaWiki. At this moment we are waiting for the developers to create the
missing message files in the Incubator.

If you can find a friendly developer to create these message files in
Incubator, when the basic messages have been translated, we LOVE to have
more projects.

You have to appreciate that by having a committee, a committee that spends a
lot of time to come up with some sensible policies, they have to have a
certain authority because only this will make things move forward. The
requirement of the message files has  been communicated on many occasions.
It is the one thing stopping projects becoming full projects.

Thanks,
     GerardM