[Foundation-l] My resignation

Robert Horning robert_horning at netzero.net
Fri Mar 23 18:27:38 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>>> Was he not contractually obliged to give notice?
>>>

>> I hadn't realized that you were privy to employment contracts.  If
>> that's what you read in the contract it must be true.
>>

> There's no need for sarcasm, pretty much every employment contract
> requires notice (under UK law, you even have to give notice if you
> don't have a written contract - I don't know about US law, of course),
> so it's a fair question.

Where I live (Utah), you are not required to issue a formal resignation
unless it is explictly in your contract.  In fact, you can resign from
your employment simply by not showing up to work or three consecutive
days.  It is the option of the employer to decide if they will hire you
back if you have an accident and were unable to contact them due to some
unfortunate circumstances.  This is state law, and overrides most
employment contracts as well in most situations.  A corporate officer is
a bit different, as this might have applied in this exact case.
Officers of non-profits are even trickier, as there are some
notifications that may have to be filed with the government that may
also be public records.  The WMF doesn't have to make it easy for you to
get those notifications, however.

Still, I understand where you are coming from, and it isn't unreasonable
to be curious here.... just that you may not get the answers you are
seeking.  Nor should you be expecting them.

-- Robert Horning