[Foundation-l] Wikibooks NL is changing License

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 10:51:34 UTC 2007

I approached Brad, and I understood from him that it is, if correctly
done (things like good notes, clear explanation etc), ok. The
foundation is still working on a licensing policy, Erik Moeller posted
a few times about this on this list, and as far as what I know about
the current status, the proposal that has been on this list, this
licensing is within those borders. The dual license is actually more
free for re-users, so from that point of view, it should be fine.

@David Gerard: We chose CC-BY-SA-2.5 or later. So a re-user can choose
which one to use, 2.5 or 3.0 or any later version. If someone has
important reasons to choose even an earlier version, please let us
know.

Further I think Robert Horning explained very well what the idea is
behind this. It is true that we make it a little harder for ourselves
when writing content. But I beleive that we make it a lot easier to
re-users and that this makes it worth while. I beleive strongly that
the combination of GFDL and CC-BY-SA offers the best opportunities to
people who want to print books at the end, and that is what Wikibooks
is going I hope. I hope we can show that the problems are minimal, and
that for small communities it is still possible to switch to dual
licensing. Of course I understand that for most Wikipediae this doesnt
count.

One more advantage of Wikibooks in this: a wikibook has usually a more
limited number of users who are writing on a page. This way it would
be easier to approach them all to ask to relicense their previous
contributions under this dual license, so the examptions would be
less. Of course we have to watch out that imported pages can not that
easily be relicensed. But nl.wikibooks has already activated the
import-function for quite a while, so it is clear who wrote what. (as
you import a page with history then)

Lodewijk