[Foundation-l] Wikibooks NL is changing License

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 22:04:06 UTC 2007

On 3/23/07, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:

> As I said, I think this scheme voids the GFDL -- at least based upon the
> plain language
> of the GFDL license. It says clearly that sublicensing is prohibiting.
> Copyright holder or not, the
> GFDL is a binding contract if you choose to accept it. At least that's
> my read of the plain
> language of the license. Other folks may have another interpretation though.

You're getting confused about the term "sublicencing". Sublicencing is
where the licenced user of a work relicences that work. It's not the
same as the situation where the copyright holder licences the work
under multiple licences.

So say that A is the copyright holder, and licences the work under the
GFDL, and B uses it. If B were then to try to licence the work under
CC-BY-SA, that would be sublicencing, and is prohibited by the licence
he is using the work under. If however A licenced the work under
CC-BY-SA also, that would be fine.

The other section you mention above, the prohibition on adding terms
to the licence, similarly does not apply. That only prevents people
from adding terms to the GFDL: ie, you must licence under GFDL or not
under GFDL, there is no third option for a "modified GFDL". It doesn't
prevent multiple licencing.

--
Stephen Bain
stephen.bain at gmail.com