[Foundation-l] Wikibooks NL is changing License

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 21:52:47 UTC 2007

On 22/03/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hmmm. I think it may void the GFDL license. Appears exclusive of other
> > license schemes.
>
> That's only talking about releasing existing works under an additional
> license. I think the relevant bit of the license is whatever it says
> about derivative works.

Which is:

"4. MODIFICATIONS

You may copy and distribute a Modified Version of the Document under
the conditions of sections 2 and 3 above, provided that you release
the Modified Version under precisely this License, with the Modified
Version filling the role of the Document, thus licensing distribution
and modification of the Modified Version to whoever possesses a copy
of it."

That reads to me as if the part about no additional licenses applies
to modified versions in their entirety, not just the parts taken from
the original. In which case, the dual licensing suggested would be a
violation.