[Foundation-l] Wikibooks NL is changing License

Jeff V. Merkey jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com
Thu Mar 22 21:41:49 UTC 2007

Bryan Tong Minh wrote:

>I believe that this only applies to new contributions. The GFDL is a
>non exclusive license; licensing it under its terms does not prevent
>you as the copyright holder from releasing under one other.
>
>Bryan

Section 2
"...

You may copy and distribute the Document in any medium, either
commercially or noncommercially, provided that this License, the
copyright notices, and the license notice saying this License applies
to the Document are reproduced in all copies, and that you ADD NO OTHER
CONDITIONS WHATSOEVER to those of this License.  You may not use
technical measures to obstruct or control the reading or further
copying of the copies you make or distribute.  However, you may accept
compensation in exchange for copies.  If you distribute a large enough
number of copies you must also follow the conditions in section 3.

..."

9. TERMINATION

"...

You may not copy, modify, SUBLICENSE, or distribute the Document except
as expressly provided for under THIS LICENSE.  Any other attempt to
copy, modify, SUBLICENESE or distribute the Document is void, and will
automatically TERMINATE YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THIS LICENSE.  However,
parties who have received copies, or rights, from you under this
License will not have their licenses terminated so long as such
parties remain in full compliance.

..."

Hmmm. I think it may void the GFDL license. Appears exclusive of other
license schemes.

Jeff