[Foundation-l] Accountability

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 01:24:37 UTC 2007

The community and Foundation responses to Essjay's unmasked roleplaying
have been rather disappointing.  Each time it comes up, every community
member has an opportunity to remind the world that Wikipedia does not
privilege credentials but rather quality of contribution; and that
Essjay's contributions and participation were acclaimed and emulated for
their consistency, reliability, sensibility and eloquence, not for claims
about his present work or past accomplishments.

I cringe at the overemphasis on "using credentials in content disputes" as
it relates to this particular case, since there are so many people who DO
use their credentials, real or otherwise, in misguided and harmful ways in
content disputes on Wikipedia every day -- including active editors and
admins who see it as their mission to 'normalize' the POV of the site
without consideration of others' perspectives.  Essjay's use in this
manner was tame and sporadic in comparison.

I blogged something about this:
   http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/sj/2007/03/08#a1437

But I was responding to a thread about accountability in general..

== Accountability and credentials ==

As to Anthony's proposal to validate credentials:

Wikipedia does not privilege editors with academic credentials. Nor are
academic credentials a special case of information about oneself on the
wiki.
     Therefore, if you want to create new policy about lying, involving
which chastises or otherwise punishes editors for not being truthful, be
sure to define the policy in a way neutral to the "academic-qualification"
nature of the facts in question.

Wikipedia does not require Real Names, nor does it privilege giving out
lots of personal information.  It also encourages and depends on
verification of FACTS, and not of PEOPLE.
     Therefore, if you want to set up a verification service for facts --
please do.  We would all support this.  If you want to set up a
verification service for people -- for real names, number of children,
age, weight, people slept with -- you can of course offer the ADP stamp of
personal-information approval... but I would hate to see it as an official
part of Wikipedia.

Finally, adminship is no big deal, and standards for admins should relate
directly to their ability to sensibly carry out editing and other policies.

And for most positions it should be confirmation enough to have explicit
"ask me no questions" pseudonymity...

SJ