[Foundation-l] BitTorrent Downloads of enwiki Images

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Mar 11 20:14:24 UTC 2007

Thomas Dalton wrote:

>>>How is you distributing images that are only used in Wikipedia under
>>>fair use not completely illegal? Your use of them isn't fair.
>>>

>>We cannot presume that his usage is fair or not.
>>

>I think we can. He is not really using them at all, just distributing
>them, so it can't fall under fair use.

And how is that our business?  In some cases he may be using them, and
others not.

What we accept as fair use in Wikipedia is based on stricter standards
than what are specified in the law.  There is a wide gap between the two
standards.  Someone managing another site can have a different level of
risk tolerance.  Even if we can presume the right to judge then that
judgement needs to be on an image by image basis, and not by a single
blanket statement.

Ec