[Foundation-l] Censorship: Speedy deletion of porn articles

The Cunctator cunctator at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 22:31:54 UTC 2007

On 3/8/07, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:

> The Cunctator wrote:
>
> >Since when are the different language Wikipedias supposed to defend
> >nationalistic or cultural norms?
> >

> Since the English Wikipedia folks do JUST THAT, as an example. Why
> should there be categories such as
> LGBT entertainers, authors, etc. There are no categories for HETERO
> authors, actors, etc. Oh, I forgot,
> that's a CUTTURAL NORM on the english Wikipedia that we OPENLY DISCUSS

I believe you meant "CULTURAL", not "CUTTURAL".

sexual behavior and put
> labels on people, whether they like it or not, or whatever or not is
> offends others, and then RAM IT DOWN
> EVERYONE ELSE'S THROATS.

Interesting choice of language, there.

There's a great example of an open cultural norm on the English
> Wikipedia. Putting labels on people prevents you from seeing the real
> person beneath and fosters BIAS. Something we should avoid.

If I'm not mistaken, the labels are going on articles, not people.

In essence, what I am saying here is that the OPENNESS and NPOV
> viewpoints are PART OF THE ENGLISH WIKIPEDIA CULTURE. I agree
> they are erstwhile concepts and important, but they are very much
> European attitudes, and not all cultures embrace them the same way.

Impressive, that you consider NPOV, the core policy of Wikipedia (not just
the English Wikipedia), part of the English Wikipedia culture.

>You seem to imply that the NPOV varies from language to language.
> >

> Yep. It does.

Do you recognize that as a problem?