[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] How non-free is Flash?

Husky huskyr at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 15:17:49 UTC 2007

I'm pretty impressed by the Cortado demo. I'm not sure how well it competes
with Flash video on lower-end machines (i'm at a high-end machine right
now), but it seems like a really good alternative for presenting in-line
video on Wikimedia projects. One of the main hassles for incorporating
videos on Wikimedia projects (aside from the copyright and bandwidth issues)
always seemed to be the lack of widely available Theora support. With
everyone being accustomed by YouTube working right out of the box it seems a
bit weird that you ask people to download a codec and install it, or use an
alternative player. This works right out of the box, in Firefox at least. I
had to download the J2RE on IE 6.

If we could use this in some way it would be a great addition to the
projects.

-- Hay Kranen / [[User:Husky]]