[Foundation-l] Update of Foundation organization

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 21:07:41 UTC 2007

On 05/03/07, Sebastian Moleski <sebmol at gmail.com> wrote:
> With communication, I was particularly referring to communication between
> volunteers when they share a task. Let's say there's some sort of work that
> could be estimated to take 10 man hours. If you have 5 volunteers doing
> that, the loss of productivity due to the necessity to communicate between
> them is immense unless the task is ridiculously mundane. These aren't
> theoretical guess either, there's tons of literature out there that show
> projects that failed due to the complexity of communication involved.
>
> Regards,
>
> Sebastian
>
> P.S. Of course, you can always argue that something "shouldn't" be this way
> or that people "should" behave in a certain manner, that alone won't make it
> happen though, especially with volunteers. The relationship between a
> volunteer and his superior is rather different from that of an employee and
> his superior. In the former, motivation to perform can change much more
> subtly and requires additional efforts which, in the case of the foundation,
> isn't feasible since its precisely the lack of staff that caused this
> discussion.

I think the main issues I wanted to discuss is when does a task need
an employee to be completed? At what point does it cost too much time
and efficiency to use volunteers for a particular task? There isn't a
clear-cut answer to this question, but it is worth talking about.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)