[Foundation-l] Update of Foundation organization

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Mon Mar 5 21:01:40 UTC 2007

Sebastian Moleski wrote:
> I've recruited and manged a great number of volunteers while working at a
> university. The main problem with them is that, unless they have some sort
> of alternative source of income/wealth, it's just not economically feasible
> for them to put in more than a few hours a week.

I'm not sure actually putting in a lot of time is a problem, but I do
agree that employees are better for some things, mainly because of
consistency.  If it's a job that *has* to be done every single week
reliably, then an unpaid volunteer is not necessarily the best choice.
I've worked on Wikipedia-related things for much more than 40 hours some
weeks, but I could not *commit* to working 40 hours every single week
unless I were being paid to do it, because I have other obligations for
my "real life" that sometimes pop up.  As a volunteer I could commit to
"x hours over the next year", even where [x] is large, but I couldn't
commit to being available at any specific time or even specific week.
Since presumably a consistent volunteer coordinator would work better
than one who was available 80 hours one week and 0 the next, I can see
the advantage of hiring someone for the role.

-Mark