[Foundation-l] Update of Foundation organization

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 20:34:09 UTC 2007

On 05/03/07, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hoi,
> There may be many people volunteering their time. There is a great lack of
> people for specific functions.
>
> Yes, volunteers are given tasks/responsibilities. It is however up to them
> to decide what they want to do and when they do them. They are volunteers,
> they cannot be told. The notion of relying on a specific task to be done in
> a certain time frame is something you CAN demand of an employee not from a
> volunteer.
>
> PS I have some sort of official capacity; I am a member of the language
> committee. Some people say that we take our time. I would argue that this is
> not necessarily a bad thing.
>
> Thanks,
>     GerardM

I understand what you're saying about volunteers not being obligated
to the foundation and that even trusted volunteers may have a tough
time justifying getting out of bed in the morning for the Foundation,
but I think the level of obligation many of our users feel to the
project is comparable to the the obligation felt by an employee and
could be put to use.

If a volunteer strongly believes in the work of the foundation, has
shown commitment to the project through positions of trust, has shown
that they will do at least X hours a day, and has assumed much
responsibility then I think they could be trusted with a position.

I agree, there are some critical jobs with time-sensitivity that
cannot be left to volunteers, but volunteers should be used as
extensively as possible.

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)