[Foundation-l] [WikiEN-l] Accountability: bringing back a proposal I made nearly 2 years ago

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 19:22:01 UTC 2007

On 3/5/07, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I don't think community support can be gauged fairly from the response
> to the Essjay situation. Essjay was a highly respected contributor,
> and many were inclined to respect and defend his desire to create a
> fake identity without an informed debate about the nature of
> credentials, and why it is important that we treat such statements
> with care.
>
> I believe this debate needs to take place now, independently of the
> Essjay incident.

You can have it takeing place now or you can have it independent of
the Essjay incident. you can't have both.

> Why won't it look good? I don't believe there's a problem with
> removing claims, or perhaps adding an {{UnverifiedCredentials}}
> template.

Someone has a degree and mentions it on their userpage. They then
apply for adminship but have no wish to provide data on themselves to
the foundation. So they have to take the information off. There is
then a risk of people holding that against them.

--
geni