[Foundation-l] a new free image!

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 1 21:59:04 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, Robert Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net> wrote:
> The idea that each one of the 200 or so
> "active" Wikimedia projects will each have to submit some sort of "EDP"
> to legal counsel, overcoming language and local legal issues too, seems
> to be something so absurd as to be unworkable as well.

There is absolutely no requirement for any project to develop an EDP.
They may simply not use any kind of "fair use" material until they do
so. Some may never want to do so.

The requirement to work directly with WMF counsel in the process is
not in the current draft resolution. However, we will probably try to
form a volunteer team (committee or workgroup) that coordinates this
process.

> Who is paying for this legal counsel?  The WMF?  Individual users?
> "local" chapters?  And what does "ratified" mean in this context?

With regard to local consultations, I would personally fully support
(within reasonable limits) providing financial assistance to the
project communities, either through the WMF or through chapters.

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic