[Foundation-l] Wikipedia Logo - errors

Stephen Bain stephen.bain at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 13:09:36 UTC 2007

On 6/27/07, Rich Holton <richholton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I never knew there was a Klingon character in the logo. And I *still*
> can't figure out for sure which one it is.

The one in the far top right, it looks sort of like a distorted "F".

> I also agree that it may not actively hurt us to have the character in
> the logo, and it's much more important to fix any issues with the "real"
> characters in the logo.
>
> But, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to try to include more characters
> from natural languages. Couldn't someone whose native script is not
> included see it as a subtle form of bias against their script? Of
> course, we can't include *all* scripts, but to include an invented
> script instead...

We have space for eighteen characters, though not all of them will be
easily visible. It would be good to represent as many broad categories
of writing systems as possible. This article (there are also versions
in half a dozen other languages) gives what seems to me to be a pretty
good list of script types from which we could pick examples (though
I'm not a linguist):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_writing_systems

--
Stephen Bain